Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chocolate Crispers


The title of this is a little deceiving. While the nuts make the top seem crispy, the brownie underneath is all that you'd want a brownie to be. Moist and chocolaty. I'm thinking, what could be better for a chocoholic like me. Can't help it, it's in my DNA.

My sister Liz reminded me of these family favorites yesterday. These brownies are for chocolate and nut lovers only. If you were to leave out the nuts, they just wouldn't be the same. I had some finely chopped walnuts that I sprinkled all over the top of them before putting them in the oven. If you really dislike nuts they'd be easy enough to scrape off. Just don't let me see you do it, or I might accuse you of being ..... Nuts!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare an 8 inch square pan. *

In a large mixing bowl
2 eggs, beaten
1 Cup of sugar
1 Teaspoon of vanilla
Mix well

Melt together
1/2 cup Shortening and
2 squares of of unsweetened chocolate
Add to first 3 ingredients and mix well.

Add
1/2 cup flour and mix well.

Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.

Bake at 325 degrees for 28-32 minutes. Dark metal pans took 28 minutes. Light aluminum took 31 minutes in my oven.

*Labor saving method: To prepare pan: Line the pan with aluminum foil and then spray with a butter flavored spray such as Crisco butter flavored no-stick spray. When the brownies have cooled pull them out by lifting up the aluminum foil. Put them on a cutting board and cut them there. I love to cook, but I'm not too fond of cleaning up afterward.

1 comment:

  1. Mary, these sound absolutely wonderful. I've never met a brownie I didn't like and the nut crust/topping takes these to another dimension. I am new to you blog and spent some time reading your earlier posts. I love your recipes and will be back as often as I can to see what else you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete